Friday, February 10, 2006

The job interviewing process

I started the year off by being more determined to find a job and set-up numerous interviews. Some were with companies I was very interested in and others were just to get experience in the interview process.

As mentioned below, I was offered a sales position at a company that I just felt at home (while interviewing)with. The people were very friendly and it just seemed like a really good fit. Even though I accepted the position I didn’t cancel any interview that I already had scheduled. I wanted to give all the places opportunities and to let me see what else is out there.

I had an interview yesterday with a company that I was very interested in because it was a tech company and they deal with the healthcare industry (this is where I have my over 15 years of experience). I thought the interview went well and meeting the VP and the head of HR was a very positive experience. However, red flags started flying once I started putting pieces together of how they are going about the interview process.

The company I used to work for has had two mass lay-offs over the last couple of years. Most all of my contacts at that place got the boot just before Thanksgiving. These peeps are considered friends of mine and we keep in touch on a daily basis (these are my lunch buddies). One of the guys that got the boot back in November interviewed for the same position as I did but his meeting was two weeks ago.

During the interview yesterday the VP told me that he had interviews scheduled for two more weeks and it could be another two to three weeks before I hear back from them if I make the next round of interviews. They are interviewing for one position and I am aware of 5 (including myself) people that have already met.

I am very cautious about wanting to advance to another interview because I am very weary of how they are approaching this position. The position is for a product manager for their most popular product and I understand they want to get the perfect fit. However, I have two reservations:

1) Has HR been given enough information to eliminate the people that are not qualified for the position? There is no reason to have a 4-week interviewing process for a position that isn’t considered an upper level management position. IMHO

2) Is upper level management too controlling and not allowing others to do their job? This is where I think the problem is and tells me that even if I am offered a second interview I may decline. There is no way I want management being so controlling that I have to look over my back at all times wondering if I am doing what they would want me to do.

What do you think? Should I entertain the possibility of a second interview or just move on?

9 Comments:

Blogger Debcapsfan said...

I would decline the second interview. Your gut is probably right.
*smooch*

8:29 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

I think you may be right Deb!

*smooch*

9:11 AM

 
Blogger arkie said...

I agree with Deb.

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Sonya said...

Take the job you have and when they call for another interview you can go if the job you took doesn't feel right.

10:41 AM

 
Blogger kim (weltek) said...

It does seem really odd they are dragging this out and you know so many people interviewing. I'd go with your gut. You are wise.

1:20 PM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Thanks everyone...I just think my first instincts are the best thing to go on. I have never heard of a company taking a month to do the first round interviews.

1:30 PM

 
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Red flags are a very bad thing! Besides, you already feel at "home" with the position you've been offered.

It sounds to me as if this other place is playing both ends against the middle and trying to find a "perfect" person for the job, but they want to keep their options open (read: string other people along) ... just in case they don't find that person.

Take the sales job and don't give this other place a second though!

2:35 PM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Nutz, I agree with you that it appears they are playing both sides of the coin. I just wish they would be honest and say that is what they are doing.

A friend interviewed with a huge company last week and they told him up front that they might not find the person they want to hire during this round of interviews and they are willing to hold off on hiring someone until they get the "perfect" person. At least they were honest!

4:20 PM

 
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Yup! Honesty is hard to find in many businesses, especially if you don't even work for them yet!

6:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home