Friday, January 06, 2006

I saw Brokeback Mountain

Where to start? I saw the movie this afternoon and was really in a bummer mood afterwards so I wanted to take some time to reflect and just think things through before I wrote about it here. For those that haven’t seen it, I won’t give anything away as I am more or less just going to be general in nature.

The movie overall is a great piece of work! I think almost everyone’s performance is top notch and made the characters very believable. There really isn’t anything good at the end (as far as feelings go) so you are left with just emptiness (or at least with me). It was excellently performed and just draws in and leaves you just like one of the characters at the end…like you have been hit in the gut.

Jake Gyllenhaal (Jack Twist) did a fantastic job playing the more outspoken guy of the two. I thought Jack came across as being honest and again believable to have fallen in love with Ennis. Jack has a better grasp on what he wants and seems to be very comfortable with himself. At times Jack has this “fuck the world” mentality and just wants to be happy with the one he loves (Ennis).

Heath Ledger (Ennis Del Mar) steals the show. WOW! Ennis has a hard time dealing with the fact that he has fallen in love with a man (Jack). Ennis is more worried about what others think than Jack but then again I think Ennis was just being cautious due to the time frame the movie takes place. The two originally fall in love in 1963 and the movie covers the next two decades and back in those days it wasn’t too far fetched to be killed for doing what these two were doing!

One thing that may be hard for some people to understand is the bitterness Ennis has towards Jack at times. I think that Ennis has a hard time just dealing with the whole falling in love with Jack. Jack knows what he wants and has no problem voicing those feelings.

Michele Williams (she plays Ennis Del Mar’s (Heath) wife) does a fabulous job as she isn’t really the center of the movie but she is a part of the center character of the movie. At times you feel for her because you get the feelings she is having. There is one scene with her and Ennis are in the kitchen that really just gave me chills. She pegged the scene without looking as if she were even acting. I wonder what “place” she had to take herself to in order to get in the role.

Anne Hathaway (plays Jack Twist’s (Jake) wife) did a fairly good job but for some reason I thought she was the weak link. Her acting was well done but her hair and make-up was lacking. At times, she appeared to stick out like a sore thumb because of her big hair and make-up she became the center of the scene when she shouldn’t have. I think she did a great job in a phone scene towards the end of the movie.

Overall, I think they hype of all this man-on-man sex thing is blown out of proportion but the hype about the acting and directing are spot on. The movie deserves the attention it is getting and I am so glad I got to see it in the theatre. Just be sure to tinkle first…the movie started at 1:10 and I got in my car to come home at 3:45. I give it a must see!

15 Comments:

Blogger ukrocks said...

Glad you like it but I don't think I'll be seeing this one Vols. It just not one I would enjoy seeing. Glad you liked it!

And I am also one of those types who has the meotional feeling towards the end of a happy movie.

7:52 PM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Thanks for the words UK! Who do you guys play this weekend? We have South Carolina at Columbia on Sunday at 2pm. I think it is on CBS.

9:23 PM

 
Blogger ukrocks said...

We play Kansas at noon at there place in Lawrence. I'm looking forward to a great game. We start out conference play Tuesday against Vandy.

The last SEC East team we play is you all. So it going to be a while before we play your Vols. February 4 or something.

I think your game is Jefferson Pilot Sports (NBC)

9:45 PM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Yeah, I think they try to put the suspense of our games deep into the season.

We may very well play on JP but that is CBS here in Knoxville. It is NBC for you guys? hhmmm who knew.

Good luck against Kansas!

9:52 PM

 
Blogger ukrocks said...

Yeah who knew, its JP Pilot up here.

10:20 PM

 
Blogger mm said...

Thanks for the review, vols. I'm still planning on seeing it, but not until next week sometime.

11:49 PM

 
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I didn't read that because I may see it and I didn't wasnt anything spoiled.

Just wanted to jump in & *smooch* you!

8:08 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

*smooch* you too.

I don't give anything away other than it is a story of two men in lvoe!

But, I hope you do see it.

8:53 AM

 
Blogger Zombs said...

Good review without giving anything away.

I can hardly wait till this is out on DVD...since I never get to go to any movies.

9:42 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Boo, for busy people...I suggest waiting for DVD. I was getting tired of sitting in that seat myself and I loved the movie.

Also, I may go out and buy the CD just for the Willie Nelson song "He Was A Friend Of Mine". The song almost made me cry...almost!

4:26 PM

 
Blogger Seana said...

You've been feeling a bit "off" all weekend because you saw this and you think *I* should see it? I can't take doomed romance.

Of all the words of tongue or pen
The saddest are these
"It might have been"

7:45 PM

 
Blogger Bravie said...

Hmmm, Jack sounds like someone I might be able to relate to on some aspects.

1:09 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Seana, I not saying that you would have the same reaction...you may (if you saw it). But, as a gay male, it hit so many buttons that I have had to live with for 39 years.

Also, to see the issues that Ennis dealt with is something that many many married men deal with today. There are more out there than many people think.

Boo, I have never been a Willie fan but if that song had played during the final scene of the movie my friends would have had to carry me out of there. I would have fallen to pieces. After seeing the movie and then hearing the words to that song was just a bit much.

Carey, Jack is the type of person many of us are today but to see him act that way for the time frame was very refreshing!

7:52 AM

 
Blogger Glowie said...

It's being released here this week (on my birthday - nice birthday present). I'll be seeing it on Saturday with my mom. Can't wait!

9:27 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

Hope you enjoy it! I have thought about it non-stop since seeing it. BTW: stay there while the credits roll and listen to the song by Willie Nelson. It is worth it!

10:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home