Monday, January 16, 2006

I am entering the "how we met" world

I know everyone is doing it or at least has done it so I am going to throw my hat into the ring with the “how we met” story. My story is a little different on many levels and I hope you will bear with me while this plays out (as this is going to be more of "my story" type deal and not just how we met). I have been in love 3 times in my life and I feel like I grew so much with each of them.

The last relationship was with an attorney that lasted about 3 and half years. He was very needy and something I wasn’t too happy about but he was fun to be around and we had a great time together. Another thing I didn’t like is that he had too many hang-ups when it came to sex (he only liked to masturbate with hardly any touching between us). Anyways, he got a job in Memphis and moved away.

The second relationship I had lasted more than 5 years and prolly the most stable of the three. He was/still is a driver for UPS (unbelievable percentage of sisters) and been with them for years. A mutual friend introduced us and we hit it off immediately. In the end, he started getting very jealous and that lead to the end our relationship.

I have not told this story, in its entirety, to anyone. Friends in my life have come in and heard bits and pieces or just highlights but I will be letting you all in on a big aspect of a relationship that molded me to believe in how I do today. It made me grow up in a hurry and let me see the good/bad/ugly in life way too soon!

It all started when my dad was ill and had to be hospitalized when I was 13 years old (even though this is a long story I will try and get it told in 3 shorts). Dad had surgery to remove 12” of his colon due to some polyps that had been found. The surgery went well but dad was hospitalized for a couple of weeks.

My third cousin on my mom’s side of the family came to visit the hospital and he brought his second (and new at the time) wife. After meeting, the wife told me that her son was in the waiting room and was about my age. I thought this would be a good way to get out of the hospital room and talk with someone to get my mind off things.

I got off the elevator and looked around the waiting room and saw only one guy about my age and he had a cast on his left arm. I walked over and introduced myself and he told me his name. I will just call him D. D had broken his arm playing football at school during recess. This was a couple of weeks into summer break in 1979, D had turned 12 in the fall and I turned 13 the week after we met. We sat in the waiting room and talked about what we liked and found so much in common. We were both just getting all giddy learning about each other and how we were going to be starting school in the fall. We also realized that we would be riding the same bus and were planning to sit together.

I remember thinking about how good looking D was but knew deep down that I would never be able to do anything about it as I was a very shy guy and had no idea how D would respond to anything like that. D was always a little taller than me and had a tight body that goes with being a quarterback on a football team (the only sport he played). You all know the type…a butt you could eat breakfast off of (well, maybe I did but that smut will have to be in a later post)! He had dark hair and skin with greenish/blue eyes that just about made me melt looking into.

We exchanged telephone numbers and I went back to my dad’s hospital room. I couldn’t wait to get home and call him later that night. I remember being so giddy that I could barely sit still and was looking forward to getting to know more!

This whole process of remembering has brought back so many feelings and things that I thought I had lost. However, just wait until we encounter a jealous girlfriend, jealous friend and you won’t believe our double dates!

8 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

Heh. I remember being that age and having those feelings for other girls my age. Only I had no clue what those feelings were about until I was a few years older. Then i got it.

7:48 PM

 
Blogger ~Nutz said...

*plops down in computer chair*

*waits for part two*

7:59 PM

 
Blogger mm said...

Oooh! Vols, I can't wait for parts two and three!

9:00 PM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

I am going to try and get part 2 up tomorrow afternoon. I can't tell you the emotions this stirred up and how I haven't thought of them in years.

We will have to see how I handle the rest of it.

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Zombs said...

What a cliffhanger! Really! I am very intrigued!

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Glowie said...

ooooh. Good story so far. I can't wait for the second part.

2:15 PM

 
Blogger Glowie said...

And thank you for sharing. *smooch*

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Puffy said...

*I* don't have to wait for parts 2 and 3 because they are already here!!!! I'm late, as usual.

Woo and Hoo

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home