Wednesday, November 16, 2005

What will they do?

The company I worked for 2 years ago had massive lay-offs last week. Over 25% of the office staff was given their pink slips and this included most of the peeps I worked with/knew in the company. I am having lunch with many of the peeps today and we will be going to Pizza Hut (they call it the Pizza Slut) and I am sure we will spend a great deal of time just hoopin it up! Has anyone been in a similar situation? I don’t know what to say to these peeps as the holiday season is closing in and they have no job.

The people have varied backgrounds and experience so they really aren’t competing with each other for new jobs. The only problem is with finding the type of jobs they held and in this small town that may be a tall task. I just hope all of them find jobs and their families have a happy holiday season…even though I am a huge ba-hum-bug during this time of year!

I think I will just go and enjoy the food and not worry about anything else!

8 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

Bad timing on the layoffs. *shakes head*

We call it Pizza Butt.

8:37 AM

 
Blogger volsfan said...

I have got to organize my time in order to make my rounds on the blogs...how the heck do you do it?

8:43 AM

 
Blogger Seana said...

The company next door to the one I used to work for laid off all its employees except one in mid-November a few years ago. That sucked.

The place I worked for before decided to announce on December 15 that we would all be fired in 6 months. Bastiges. Every day for those 6 months, we played the song "Asshole" by Dennis Leary and dedicated it to the CEO.

And...I worked for Pizza Slut for years.

10:15 AM

 
Blogger lights said...

Hey Vols! Both mr lights and I worked for a big mining company when we first got married. It was a great job with benefits, good pay and a pension plan. We thought we were set for life. A couple years later they closed up shop and moved the whole company to southern Ontario. Five hundred people were out of a job. It was huge news in our small city and it was a terribly stressful time. We also learned about not putting all our eggs in one basket.

As far as what to say? Just listen. If they want to talk about it they probably just want a fresh ear. If not, take their lead and just be silly. They probably need a good distraction about now.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Schnookie said...

That really sucks. Our company likes to do that also. Big layoffs just before Xmas. Or even better, just after someone comes back from vacation.

You're in the same boat as they are aren't you Vols so all you can do is listen and commiserate.

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Zombs said...

Hee we call it Pizza Slut to!

Poor peeps. DH sure knows how they feel. At least his layoff was in May and not before Christmas.

Tell them things happen for a reason and sometimes it can be a good thing.

4:31 PM

 
Blogger mm said...

We don't call it anything. We call Round Table.

Sorry about your co-workers, vols. Hope you all got to enjoy the meal anyways.

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Sonya said...

I have a friend going through the same thing. It sucks. I'll keep them in my thoughts.

5:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home